Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, 38, and Prince William, 38, ditched the capital with Prince George, seven, Princess Charlotte, five, and Prince Louis, two, ahead of Tier 4 restrictions coming into effect last month. The family spent Christmas at their country home, Anmer Hall, in Norfolk. However, as both Charlotte and George attend primary school in London it seems likely the Cambridges will soon return to Kensington Palace for the start of the Lent term.
Ahead of Christmas, the Government imposed stricter measures to try and curb the spread of two new strains of Covid-19.
Much of the UK, including Norfolk and London, has been placed under the tightest Tier 4 restrictions.
While travel by people based in Tier 4 areas is discouraged by the Government, there are some exceptions.
As Kate and William’s administrative base is in London and both George and Charlotte attend school there, they may have been permitted to leave Norfolk and return to the capital without breaching new measures.
READ MORE: Prince William to face ‘midlife crisis’ this year
The Government confirmed all primary schools in the capital would be required to provide remote learning after a further review of coronavirus transmission rates.
Reacting to the Government’s decision to keep all primary schools in the capital closed, London Mayor Sadiq Khan tweeted: “The government’s original decision was ridiculous and has been causing immense confusion for parents, teachers and staff across the capital.
“It is right that all schools in London are treated the same, and that no primary schools in London will be forced to open on Monday”.
Despite plans to keep schools in London closed, on Sunday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson urged parents of primary school pupils in other parts of the country to send their children back to class on Monday.
He told BBC One’s Andrew Marr Show there was “no doubt in my mind that schools are safe” but did not rule out further closures.
He added the risk to children was “very, very low” and the benefit of education was “so huge”.
The decision to keep London schools closed was made after Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the situation in the capital had continued to worsen and infections and hospital admissions had risen sharply.
He said: “While our priority is to keep as many children as possible in school, we have to strike a balance between education and infection rates and pressures on the NHS.”
— to www.express.co.uk