A number of Kent ‘s schools have had to act fast in response to the threat of Covid-19 since 423 of 600 reopened at the start of September.
Here are the schools across the county which have sent year group ‘bubbles’ home for two weeks or taken other measures to protect pupils.
Students from Year 7 and above were asked to wear masks when they were not in class or outside at The John Wallis Church of England Academy, on Millbank Road.
This was after it was found a member of staff had tested positive for Covid-19 since they left work to isolate on September 11.
A Year 1 pupil from Repton Manor Primary School on Repton Avenue tested positive, after which 60 children and five staff in the same bubble were sent home. They were asked to self isolate for two weeks until Thursday, September 24.
At Victoria Road Primary School, a child from Year 6 tested positive for coronavirus. This lead to 55 pupils and eight teachers from Year 6 and Year 5 being asked to self isolate until Sunday, October 4.
On September 14, it was confirmed an admin worker from Longfield Academy, on Main Road, tested positive for coronavirus. Pupils were not sent home as the staff member did not have close contact with them, but the school is staying vigilant for if more cases develop.
Pupils and staff from the Year 10 bubble at Wilmington Academy on Common Lane were sent home to self isolate for two weeks after a student tested positive. This was reported on September 18.
On September 22 Milestone Academy told its secondary school age pupils to self-isolate after a member of staff tested positive for coronavirus at the special needs academy.
A bubble of 27 pupils were sent home from Charlton Church of England Primary School on Barton Road after a Year 2 pupil tested positive on Thursday, September 17. Pupils have been sent remote work until their return on Friday, October 2.
Students at Harvey Grammar School were sent home after a pupil had a positive test for Covid-19. On September 22, head teacher Scott Norman said a ‘very small number’ of children would have to stay at home for 14 days.
A student and a teacher from Gravesend Grammar School for Boys on Church Walk tested positive for coronavirus. This led to all Year 10 pupils and a single Year 8 class being asked to stay home on Monday September 21, with some students who have been in direct contact with the confirmed case instructed to self-isolate for two weeks.
A small number of children were sent home to isolate from Brockhill Park Performing Arts College on Sandling Road after a case was confirmed there on Monday, September 21.
Maidstone Grammar Schoo l wrote to parents and carers to notify them a positive test had been recorded at the school.
A small number of children are believed to have been in “direct prolonged contact” with the confirmed case and each received a letter informing them to self-isolate for 14 days.
It comes just three weeks after the school in Barton Road reopened to students.
A Year 6 pupil tested positive at Valley Invicta Primary School on Teapot Lane. The year group’s bubble was told to isolate for two weeks until Friday, September 18. One father to a pupil from that year said: “I don’t feel like it’s safe enough for the kids to be back in school.”
Speedy action was taken at St Katherine’s School, Snodland, when 10 pupils in Year 3 started showing symptoms of a persistent cough and temperature. Even before tests were taken, the entire Year 3 bubble was sent home to isolate and get tested as the Headteacher ‘could not take any chances.’
And yesterday, all pupils at a school were sent home after two students tested positive for coronavirus.
Aylesford School is requiring all students to work from home today and tomorrow while the premises are deep cleaned after two students, one in Year 9 and another in Year 13, caught the virus.
On September 4, Strood Academy sent four staff members home after one of them tested positive for Covid-19.
The Year 11 bubble at Rainham Mark Grammar School on Pump Lane were told to isolate until Friday, October 2 after a confirmed case in the group.
Headtecher, Alan Moore said: “It was almost inevitable this was going to happen, I just wish it hadn’t happened to the Year 11s who have exams this year and I hoped we would make it to half term.”
Year 11 pupils were told to work from home on the evening of Sunday, September 20, after a Holcombe Grammar Schoo l pupil tested positive. All other pupils from the Letchworth Avenue school were allowed to return.
At Edenbridge Primary, children who were in close contact with a Year 2 pupil who tested positive were told to self isolate until Monday, September 21.
The immediate friend group of a Year 8 girl at Highsted Grammar School on Highsted Road were sent home on September 8 – with eight others in the bubble allowed to continue lessons. Parents said they were threatened with ‘unauthorised absence’ if they removed their child from school, but the grammar insists they are following ‘explicit’ instructions from Public Health England.
On the same day, Year 1 pupils from Bapchild and Tonge CofE Primary School on School Lane, were sent home for two weeks after a positive test from a pupil in the bubble.
Four staff members and 25 children from Year 5 were sent home from Hartlip Primary School on Wednesday, September 16 after a young girl tested positive. They were told to return on Thursday, October 1.
At South Avenue Primary School, 120 pupils were put into quarantine after two pupils tested positive.
Five staff members and 25 pupils were sent home to isolate for two weeks from Ramsgates’s Royal Harbour Academy Year 7 bubble. This came after a child was confirmed to have Covid-19 on Sunday, September 20.
More than 200 Year 7 pupils were sent home for two weeks from Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys after a pupil’s positive test came back on Tuesday, September 15. David Adams, Kent County Council’s (KCC) education director, said the grammar has seen the “most significant” impact in September.
— to www.kentonline.co.uk