Place North West is a B2B publisher and event organiser based in Manchester with a strong reputation built over 15 years.
We deliver a daily newsletter read by a loyal and engaged community of property professionals in the region and beyond. This is supported by a busy conference programme offering fertile networking opportunities and valuable market intelligence.
Due to continued growth, Place North West is seeking a reporter to join its editorial team.
The successful applicant will have at least one year’s experience working in news journalism, preferably with experience of business reporting. You will be someone who takes pride in your work, is confident making new contacts and strives for quality and accuracy in every story you produce.
You will be joining a small team in a highly productive, no-nonsense office.
- Write relevant property and related business news, gathering information from contacts and other sources
- Deliver exclusive content and conduct interviews with developers, council leaders, agents, architects and other representatives from all sectors of the built environment industry
- Write accurate, clear and concise copy to a daily deadline, following well-defined editorial standards
- Support the newsdesk during busy periods, such as updating stories, sourcing and formatting images, proofreading and transcribing interviews
- Work as part of the wider Place North West team to deliver conferences, sharing responsibility for speaker sourcing and briefing, brainstorming content, delivering social media promotion and other tasks, and producing event write-ups
- Embed yourself within the property community through networking to spot potential stories, market trends and event topics
- Maintain and develop relationships with Place North West’s key commercial clients
- Travel to industry events in the region and beyond to secure stories and conduct interviews
- Work in our Content Management System to ensure stories meet a high standard of presentation
- Promote content across social media channels
- Keep up to speed with innovations in journalism, to help develop multiple forms of coverage on Place North West, including podcasts, video, live streaming
- Work beyond typical office hours as required – attending events, delivering conferences, and networking
Required skills and experience:
- Demonstrable talent for good reporting and a sound news instinct
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and a clean, competent writer
- Ability to unearth and tell interesting stories about the property industry, be willing to secure interviews and ask tough questions
- Have a strong understanding of business or financial journalism and at least a basic understanding of the dynamics that impact the real estate market
- Excellent time management skills and ability to write quickly and accurately
- Be able to write in different styles and include the written word, audio, visual and infographics in content for publication
- Solid contact-building skills
- Business acumen and an awareness of the commercial needs of a small business and its clients, including when it comes to news reporting and other editorial tasks
- Experience and interest in multimedia storytelling – podcasts, video
- Be financially literate and able to use numbers and data to good effect within articles
- Strong work ethic with high degree of determination and drive
- Positive attitude and team mentality
A competitive package and benefits are offered for this role.
Send a cover letter and CV to Sarah Townsend, editor [email protected] with ‘Reporter job application’ in the subject please.
— to www.journalism.co.uk