PRINCE William and Kate Middleton may have to take on more royal duties after the Sussexes quit the Firm, it was claimed today.
👑 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the very latest news...
As part of the deal, Meghan lost two royal patronages given to her by the Queen in 2019 at the National Theatre and the Association of Commonwealth Universities, also giving up her role as vice-president of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust.
Meanwhile, The Duke, a keen rugby fan, will no longer be a patron of the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League – roles which he took over from the Queen.
Harry is also no longer a patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust after nine years in the role or WellChild.
And it has been suggested Prince William and Kate Middleton may take on the roles left empty by the departure of Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36.
It was reported Rugby League chiefs want the future king to take on the patronage as the World Cup looms.
A source close to the Rugby Football League told The Telegraph: “The World Cup is going to take place in the north of England, which is very significant at this time and very important for the royal household to acknowledge and get behind, particularly as it will be happening in many towns where major events are not usually held.
“The Duke of Sussex was a high profile figure who embraced the World Cup and we hope the next appointment will be a continuation of that.”
They added: “There will be a lot of disruption. The World Cup is in autumn and Prince Harry was expected to be front and centre of that… We were completely blindsided by the news to be honest.”
The Rugby Football League’s current chairman Simon Johnson has even previously worked with Prince William, saying in 2018: “Having worked closely with the Duke during my time at the FA, I know that he will be fascinated and interested and will make a lasting impression on all those he meets.”
The association has said it will be up to the Queen over who will take on the role.
A source added: “We were very keen to keep Prince Harry, he’s been fantastic.”
The paper reported Prince William – who is already vice-patron of the Welsh Rugby Union – would want to tread carefully if he takes on the RFL patronage.
It was added the 39-year-old was unlikely to want to be seen to benefit from his brother leaving the Royal Family.
Harry and Meghan are now living in the US after quitting the Royal Family – signing a string of megabucks deals with Netflix and Spotify.
And the couple – who recently announced they were expecting another baby – will appear in a tell-all chat with Oprah to be aired next month.
Meanwhile, The Sunday Times today reported Kate Middleton is in the running to be the new National Theatre patron after former actress Meghan lost the role.
The 39-year-old is already patron of the National Portrait Gallery and the V&A.
However, it was reported that the Earl of Wessex would be a more diplomatic choice for the position.
Edward, 56, has previously worked for Lord Lloyd-Webber’s theatre company in the late 1980s.
He also launched his own TV venture, Ardent Productions, a TV venture, in 1993 before it was ultimately closed in 2009.
Harry will no longer hold his military titles including The Royal Marines, RAF Honington, Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving – with Princess Anne tipped to take on the Royal Marines role.
It was previously reported that Meghan and Harry were disappointed to lose their patronages.
A royal source said they had “absolutely, no question” wanted to retain the positions they had lost.
The Duke was understood to be particularly devastated at having to give up his cherished military titles, having reportedly been convinced he could continue to represent them from afar with regular trips back to the UK.
Meghan and Harry had previously agreed to no longer use their HRH titles as part of the initial Megxit agreement.
— to www.thesun.co.uk