More than 300 cases of coronavirus have been recorded in Leeds in the past 24 hours – the highest anywhere in Yorkshire.
Leeds has recorded a further 307 Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the area’s total to 42,646 cases.
So far, more than 250,453 people in Yorkshire have tested positive for the disease since the start of the pandemic.
However, no new Covid-19 deaths have been recorded at Leeds hospitals for three consecutive days as Labour calls for another national lockdown.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has told Prime Minister Boris Johnson to bring in new national Covid restrictions within the next 24 hours, rather than hint that he will do so soon.
Sir Keir told reporters: “The virus is clearly out of control.
“And there’s no good the Prime Minister hinting that further restrictions are coming into place in a week, or two or three.
“That delay has been the source of so many problems.
“So, I say bring in those restrictions now, national restrictions, within the next 24 hours.
“That has to be the first step towards controlling the virus.”
1,866 new cases of Covid-19 in the past 24 hours
A number of areas in Yorkshire have recorded less than 100 new Covid-19 cases in the past 24 hours.
Wakefield, Barnsley and Calderdale were among the seven areas to record relatively few new cases.
The highest daily figure was recorded in Leeds – the only area to record more than 300 new cases.
So far 250,453 people in Yorkshire have tested positive for the virus since the start of the pandemic.
Follow our Leeds Covid-19 live blog for the latest updates
Latest new Covid-19 cases in Yorkshire:
- Leeds was 42,339 now 42,646 (+307)
- Wakefield was 16,573 now 16,665 (+92)
- North Yorkshire was 18,204 now 18,491 (+287)
- Sheffield was 29,993 now 30,204 (+211)
- Barnsley was 12,655 now 12,730 (+75)
- Bradford was 33,911 now 34,065 (+154)
- Calderdale was 9,906 now 9,994 (+88)
- Rotherham was 13,785 now 13,879 (+94)
- Kirklees was 22,923 now 23,071 (+148)
- York was 7,572 now 7,718 (+146)
- Doncaster was 15,102 now 15,190 (+88)
- East Riding of Yorkshire was 12,403 now 12,491 (+88)
- Hull was 13,221 now 13,309 (+88)
24 more deaths recorded across Yorkshire hospitals
A further 24 patients in Yorkshire who tested positive for Covid-19 have died.
Deaths were recorded across nine trusts with the highest daily figure reported at The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust.
Harrogate and Leeds have not reported any new Covid-19 deaths for four consecutive days.
Across England, a further 386 people, who tested positive for Covid-19 have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 51,437.
Patients were aged between 30 and 107 years old. All except 18 (aged 59 to 95 years old) had known underlying health conditions.
Date of death ranges from December 6, 2020 to January 2, 2021 with the majority being on or after December 29.
Their families have been informed.
Total number of coronavirus deaths in Yorkshire’s hospitals:
- Airedale NHS Foundation Trust: 186 (+1)
- Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust: 430 (+3)
- City Health Care Partnership CIC- East Riding Community Hospital: 20
- Bradford Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust: 462 (+3)
- Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust: 351 (+1)
- Sheffield Children’s NHS Foundation Trust: 1
- Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust: 577
- Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust: 109
- Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust: 479 (+3)
- Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust: 3
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust: 679
- Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust: 2
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust: 696 (+1)
- Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust: 9
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust: 608 (+2)
- The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust: 433 (+6)
- Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust: 4
- York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust: 380 (+4)
Latest infection rates
- York 380.8
- Richmondshire 336.9
- Middlesbrough 325.6
- Doncaster 273.2
- Hull 262.1
- Selby 256
- Scarborough 253.8
- Ryedale 245.6
- Craven 243.3
- Leeds 224.4
- Rotherham 219.7
- Redcar and Cleveland 219.5
- Wakefield 217.3
- Harrogate 202.1
- Bradford 199
- Calderdale 198.2
- East Riding of Yorkshire 195.2
- Sheffield 196.3
- Kirklees 184.2
LeedsLive has launched a WhatsApp group to keep you up to date with the latest news! Click here to join and follow the instructions on your phone. Your number won’t be shared with anyone else in the group.
-- to www.leeds-live.co.uk